Sunday, September 27, 2009

Love for Labels

Love for Labels

Love for Labels

guccilogoA lot of times I wonder why I buy clothes and bags that are covered with labels. Everyone does it whether they do it on purpose or not. My friends and I went through the whole American Eagle and Abercrombie and Fitch phase. And the number of people wearing North Face has seem to grow even bigger these days. But what’s so great about these labels anyway?

In my opinion a North Face jacket was nothing more than an expensive outdoor coat. And the outdoor type of look never appealed to me, but I wanted it just as much as everyone else and probably for the same reason. The North Face label. The little text on the left shoulder. What an embarrassing reason!

Now, a few years after that whole obsession, I find myself with the same kind of fetish, except with higher-end brands like Gucci and Louis Vuitton. Although I’m not as tense about labels, in the back of my mind I know that I want that certain Gucci logo bag or the pair of Chanel sunglasses not exactly because I want or need them, but so I can feel “in style.” It got me thinking, as we grow older do we act the same with different commodities? Are labels constantly going to give us that certain satisfaction that we’ve always felt after buying them?

It may seem that I’m against brands, which is simply untrue, but everyone wearing the same thing gets really boring, no? As much as I love some of the most popular labels it almost seems like buying the same thing equals getting a nod of approval from friends and the community. I know that’s how I felt used to and sometimes even now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment